Saturday, February 13, 2010

Observations after the First Cycle of Chemo

Side effects of chemo therapy: I started getting headache next day at about 9 AM and was discharged at about 11.30. Doctor advised me to take Crocin but since my experience with crocin is not good (stomach upset), I avoided. I was feeling intoxicated equivalent to having had a bottle of beer, though the headache was not allowing me to enjoy that beer effect, I tried to sleep with my eyes completely protected from light for about two – three hours and then the headache subsided.
Nausea: I felt light nausea for only about 6-8 hours I could take my food in small quantities and was taking sufficient liquid. Avoided taking milk next day and thereafter regularly taking curd and buttermilk twice a day
Headache and fever: For about 3-4 days I had light headache and was feeling feverish after which I took one Combiflam and thereafter I had complete freedom from these problems. As an extra precaution, I avoided bright light, which is one of the sources for my headache.
Constipation: Though normally I don’t have constipation, for two days after chemo, I had it, I started taking 3 tsp of Isabgol (psyllium husk) with milk in the evening daily so this problem was also overcome.
Insomnia: I could sleep well only the first night due to that beer effect but second night was terrible. I was feeling very fresh and in spite of all my attempts to fall asleep including reverse counting etc, I couldn’t succeed so next night onwards started taking Restyl (0.5mg). It gives me a sound sleep of about 6 hours. I tried to skip once or twice but couldn’t sleep so I think I will have to continue taking one tablet every night.
Body ache: For 2-3 days I was feeling weak leg muscles had severe pain in both the wrists, about 6-7 cms from bottom of the palm, almost in the centre. Acupressure technique did not work. I had observed such pain in the past caused due to loss of electrolyte. (such pain was observed in past usually as an after-effect of taking more than 2 drinks and my remedy to it was a glass of lemon water with more salt) Taking lemon+salt+sugar did not help so I took Electral for two days and the problem disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment